Ellines Nakama Productions

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

[Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
995Gabber

PostSubject: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:01 pm

It's in my blood to point out what I did not appreciate in a video, and therefore telling the author to avoid doing so or changing it to something I find more convenient. In other words leaving critiques on videos. However I noticed people do not appreciate me doing so. Some of them at least, and i'm being told that everyone edits the way they want to, and that if they were to follow my so called "code" in editing we will end up with totally identical videos everywhere. Leading to a community with 0 variety.
Like a woman losing her Asian husband in a crowd in China. Then screaming "ALL MEN ARE THE SAME!" Because she literally cannot recognize anyone from anyone. Same logic applies to the AMV community. Or that at least is what I am told by the ones against me doing what I usually do. Which actually makes a lot of sense to me. However I still cannot let go of my usual question which I still haven't received a valid answer for.
"Why do you edit? because it is fun." "Why do you share your work? so that others can have fun" "what if they aren't having fun because of some disturbing points here and there? ........... "
Then again one could answer the last question with "I can't make everyone happy. I edit for those who I can" which is a solid point. However, if there is a possibility that one can make everyone happy then lets go it. After all we do not edit ONLY because it is a fun thing to do (although it is the main reason) we also keep on editing because we want to become better. To look at our videos after being done and thinking to ourselves "wow! am I really the one who made this?".

That is all I've got to say for now, but my mind is still not totally fixed on 1 side. Which is why i'm not really siding with anyone for now. As for myself I do appreciate it when someone decided to tell me what is not right in my video.
Any additional thoughts about this? Counter to something that was said? Tell me.

Jas wrote:
i have no faith in ur faith of not havin faith in me not havin faith in u

Don't click:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/995Gabber
Notorious

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 pm

right statements gab chan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WETRSDFHAWJCKVINOD

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 pm

"Good art evokes an emotion, educates or brings about discussion. Bad art, though possibly very technically creative and beautiful, does none of the above."

Source: i googled.

I think i can agree to this. If you're looking at amvs as art (which they are).

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:56 pm

WETRSDFHAWJCKVINOD wrote:
"Good art evokes an emotion, educates or brings about discussion. Bad art, though possibly very technically creative and beautiful, does none of the above."

I definitely agree on this. Its what I was telling you Lacky, AMV without emotion is not a good amv. Everyone can do FX whoring after some time or make a good "flow" or "impact". what matters is what is inside. Feelings that editor had while editing, who he/she dedicated it to, secretly or openly, what the amv has to say and how interesting is that what it says... Also, what it makes you feel. Thats what makes an amv :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MissTitannia :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MissTitannia
995Gabber

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm

MissTitannia wrote:

I definitely agree on this. Its what I was telling you Lacky, AMV without emotion is not a good amv. Everyone can do FX whoring after some time or make a good "flow" or "impact". what matters is what is inside. Feelings that editor had while editing, who he/she dedicated it to, secretly or openly, what the amv has to say and how interesting is that what it says... Also, what it makes you feel. Thats what makes an amv :)
1- Kinda ironic to say everyone can do Fx-whoring when you can't
2- Ehm the article was about Criticism. I do not interfere with whether an editor likes to have messages or focus more on his editing. this article is about leaving critique sara.

Jas wrote:
i have no faith in ur faith of not havin faith in me not havin faith in u

Don't click:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/995Gabber
Schrod7

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Thing is most people (including myself) don't see AMVs as art, just as a hobby. If someone doesn't bother about improving his/her skills, there is no need to point out mistakes. By all means though, pointing them out is good (because you can improve YOUR skills through the mistakes of other people), just don't be a jerk while at it.

MissTitannia

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:24 pm

995Gabber wrote:

1- Kinda ironic to say everyone can do Fx-whoring when you can't
2- Ehm the article was about Criticism. I do not interfere with whether an editor likes to have messages or focus more on his editing. this article is about leaving critique sara.
1- I said "After some time" read it again :) That means after some time of practising. And not everyone can do emotional amvs if they are stone hearted bitches xD

2- I just said my opinion because I liked what he said :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MissTitannia :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MissTitannia
WETRSDFHAWJCKVINOD

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 am

Schrod7 wrote:
Thing is most people (including myself) don't see AMVs as art, just as a hobby.
You can have an art as a hobby.
Just because it's your hobby and you don't get paid to do it, it doesn't make it less of an art.

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:21 am

Schrod7 wrote:
Just because it's your hobby and you don't get paid to do it, it doesn't make it less of an art.
You are right. To be precise, I don't think that an art that takes another art as its basis is legit. You can counter me by saying that cinema takes photography as a basis, but I hope you get what I mean with the above. Art is created from scratch for me, if you animated and then edit, then I agree, it rly is art.

WETRSDFHAWJCKVINOD

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 am

Schrod7 wrote:
Schrod7 wrote:
You are right. To be precise, I don't think that an art that takes another art as its basis is legit. You can counter me by saying that cinema takes photography as a basis, but I hope you get what I mean with the above. Art is created from scratch for me, if you animated and then edit, then I agree, it rly is art.
Yeah, you have a point here.
Obviously creating something from scratch is usually usually harder to create for the most part.

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:15 am

Criticism being a fun killer???No Gab...The youtube community is in that state cause of all that "if you dont like it go away fgt" attitude...If criticism is being constructive and it is said in good manners I cannot understand even why people are bothered. I mean you can accept or decline that criticism like many people do and write one simple "thank you for your opinion but i think blablablabla" and stop being a total douchebag like this video states

P.S:When i see stuff like this(http://nero-team.1fr1.net/t501-voidgirl) it seriously affects my mentality in the degree that i open counter strike against 12 bots and i go out slaying people

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/TheInvisibleBlackxX
ProjectBarcodeError

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:14 am

One good criticism way is called the sandwich : you put a good element the person made before, after or in the middle of the points you disliked.

ex:" at 0:06 you forgot a beat sync and your scene is too much long. but i liked your color correction compared to the other scene,it feels more good to the eye. keep it that way..."

Point is it's kinda hard to make a good criticism on youtube, so people tend to be full white or full black, there is no place for a long criticism.

Some people prefer hard-hitting criticism in order to understand what they can do better in a aesthetic way. Yet most youtubians aren't used to it. So my point about the sandwich technique is that it's a give and take: pros must give a bit of hope and good feedback (not forced to be extreme, you can say "your scene selection is decent for a rookie"), yet the others must accept criticism, cause it's always a way to improve and LISTEN to others opinions in order to be a better person. You can decide not to follow a criticism, yet if you understand the meaning of it and plan to consider it in some given circunstances, you have advanced as an artist.

my 2 cents.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
UniqueDazZzle

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:33 am

Criticism is to scholarly analysis and balanced judgement on something but it's now used as a hostile attack pointing out the bad features of something, which is what almost everyone on Youtube is doing lately !!

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am

Well burp herpity mighty derp,you criticize on a video of someone you aren't close or someone who doesn't enjoy feedback his technical aide.of thing.You can notice his zooms are really mediocre and explain why,it is not something you do that way because you edit differently because it may have variations but for the most part it involves a standard procedure in order to not feel and look like crap.

Now,being a critic is a party crusher and you should only exercise it to those that want it,the others can take hike,even ENP members.

Girls run:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/sgtpeterarbit
Crookz

PostSubject: Re: [Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:38 pm

for future reference.

comments aloud on crookz videos:

"awesome"
"good job aniki"

or I'll let you critique me for 20euro

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CrookzAMV

[Article] Criticism being a total fun killer?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next